Working together toward one goal – graduating from high school and continuing on to higher education.
Why Focus on Parents?
- When we help parents take charge of their children’s education, we directly impact the kids.
- Research indicates that student educational achievement is higher when parents are engaged. Parent engagement supersedes income, ethnicity and parent education level as predictors of educational attainment.
- Schools report that despite invitations to parents to get involved, many parents are hesitant. Parents care about educational excellence but low socio-economic status, limited education and different cultural norms are barriers that can make it difficult for them to take an active role.
Parents Advocating for Student Excellence (PASE) helps families:
- Feel comfortable in the school setting even when the parents may have not finished school themselves.
- Gain a support system through the school and through one another.
- Figure out the specific academic needs of each child.